All Emergency Nav Equations
- Shock Index
Calculates the Shock Index, which may be a more sensitive indicator of occult shock, especially in trauma or acute hemorrhage.
- Pulmonary Embolism Severity Index (PESI)
Predicts 30-day outcome of patients with pulmonary embolism using 11 clinical criteria.
- Simplified PESI (Pulmonary Embolism Severity Index)
Predicts 30-day outcome of patients with pulmonary embolism with fewer criteria than the original Pulmonary Embolism Severity Index.
- TASH Score (Trauma Associated Severe Hemorrhage) for Massive Transfusion
Predicts the need for massive transfusion based on clinical and laboratory data.
- ABC Score (Assessment of Blood Consumption) for Massive Transfusion
Determines need for massive transfusion in trauma patients based on non-laboratory, ED criteria.
- SIRS, Sepsis, and Septic Shock Criteria
Defines the severity of sepsis and septic shock.
- Pittsburgh Knee Rules
Defines when knee x-rays are unnecessary, based on the Pittsburgh rules.
- Estimated/Expected Peak Expiratory Flow (Peak Flow)
Calculates expected peak flow to help quantify asthma exacerbation severity.
- HIV Needle Stick Risk Assessment Stratification Protocol (RASP)
Quantifies HIV exposure risk by source and exposure type and need for prophylaxis.
- NIH Stroke Scale/Score (NIHSS)
Calculates the NIH Stroke Scale for quantifying stroke severity.
- NEXUS Criteria for C-Spine Imaging
Determines who can be cleared clinically of cervical spine fracture without imaging, by NEXUS study criteria.
- Canadian C-Spine Rule
Determines who can be cleared clinically of cervical spine fracture without imaging, by Canadian study criteria.
- Westley Croup Score
Quantifies croup severity (although mainly used for research, not clinically).
- Alvarado Score for Acute Appendicitis
Scores likelihood of appendicitis based on symptoms, signs, and lab data.
- Canadian CT Head Injury/Trauma Rule
Defines who may need CT brain imaging after trauma to evaluate for intracranial injury, by Canadian CT criteria.
- New Orleans/Charity Head Trauma/Injury Rule
Defines criteria for which patients are unlikely to require CT brain imaging after trauma, by New Orleans study guidelines.
- PECARN Pediatric Head Injury/Trauma Algorithm
Provides the PECARN algorithm for evaluating pediatric head injury.
- Acetaminophen Overdose and NAC Dosing
Calculates PO/IV NAC dosing for acetaminophen overdose, as well as a nomogram for determining toxic 4 hour ingestion levels.
- King’s College Criteria for Acetaminophen Toxicity
Provides lab-based recommendations for who should be immediately referred for liver transplant after acetaminophen overdose.
- Glasgow-Blatchford Bleeding Score (GBS)
Stratifies Upper GI bleeding patients who are "low-risk" and candidates for outpatient management.
- Pregnancy Due Dates Calculator
Calculates pregnancy dates, forward from last period or backward from due date.
- Ottawa Knee Rules
Describes criteria for knee trauma patients so low risk as not to warrant knee imaging.
- Wells’ Criteria for DVT
Calculates Wells' Score for risk of DVT.
- ABCD2 Score for TIA
Estimates risk of stroke after a TIA, according to patient risk factors.
- PERC Rule for Pulmonary Embolism
Shows the PERC criteria, which can rule out PE if all criteria are present and pre-test probability is ≤15%.
- CURB-65 Severity Score for Community-Acquired Pneumonia
Calculates the CURB-65 Score to estimate pneumonia mortality to help determine inpatient vs. outpatient treatment.
- Wells’ Criteria for Pulmonary Embolism / PE
Calculates Wells' Score for risk of PE.
- TIMI Risk Score for UA/NSTEMI
Estimates mortality for patients with unstable angina and non-ST elevation MI.
- Modified Centor Score for Strep Pharyngitis
Estimates probability that pharyngitis is streptococcal in nature, and suggests management course.
- TIMI Risk Score for STEMI
Estimates mortality in patients with STEMI.
- San Francisco Syncope Rule to Predict Serious Outcomes
Defines high-risk criteria for patients with syncope.
- Parkland Formula for Burns
Calculates fluid requirements for burn patients in a 24-hour period.
- Glasgow Coma Scale/Score
Calculates GCS based on Eye (4), Verbal (5), and Motor (6) criteria.
- Endotracheal Tube (ETT) Size for Pediatrics
Estimates appropriate endotracheal tube size for children.
- PSI/PORT Score: Pneumonia Severity Index for Adult CAP
Estimates mortality for patients with pneumonia using demographic, lab, and radiographic data.
- Ottawa Ankle Rules
Shows areas of tenderness to be evaluated in ankle trauma patients to determine need for imaging.
- Absolute Neutrophil Count (ANC)
Calculates the absolute neutrophil count, frequently used in neutropenic fever chemotherapy patients.