All Internal Medicine Nav Equations
- Estimated Average Glucose (eAG) From A1C
Estimates an average patient glucose level from their Hemoglobin A1C value.
- SIRS, Sepsis, and Septic Shock Criteria
Defines the severity of sepsis and septic shock.
- HAS-BLED Score for Major Bleeding Risk
Estimates risk of major bleeding for patients on anticoagulation to help determine risk-benefit in atrial fibrillation care.
- Light’s Criteria for Exudative Effusions
Provides Light's Criteria to help determine if pleural fluid is exudative.
- CHA2DS2-VASc Score for Atrial Fibrillation Stroke Risk
Calculates stroke risk for patients with atrial fibrillation, possibly better than the CHADS2 score.
- Glasgow Alcoholic Hepatitis Score
Predicts mortality in patients with alcoholic hepatitis by lab results and age.
- Hepatic Encephalopathy Grades/Stages
Defines criteria for each stage of hepatic encephalopathy.
- Wells’ Criteria for DVT
Calculates Wells' Score for risk of DVT.
- ABCD2 Score for TIA
Estimates risk of stroke after a TIA, according to patient risk factors.
- Child-Pugh Score for Cirrhosis Mortality
Calculates the Child's Score, used to estimate cirrhosis severity.
- Phenytoin/Dilantin Correction for Albumin or Renal Failure
Corrects a phenytoin serum level for renal failure and/or hypoalbuminemia.
- CURB-65 Severity Score for Community-Acquired Pneumonia
Calculates the CURB-65 Score to estimate pneumonia mortality to help determine inpatient vs. outpatient treatment.
- Winters’ Formula for Metabolic Acidosis Compensation
Calculates the expected pCO2 in a purely metabolic acidosis.
- Wells’ Criteria for Pulmonary Embolism / PE
Calculates Wells' Score for risk of PE.
- Stool Osmolar/Osmotic Gap
Determines if chronic diarrhea is osmotic or secretory in nature.
- Serum Osmolality/Osmolarity
Calculates expected serum osmolarity, for comparison to measured osmolarity to detect unmeasured compounds in the serum.
- Ranson’s Criteria for Pancreatitis Mortality
Estimates mortality of patients with pancreatitis, based on initial and 48-hour lab values.
- Maintenance Fluids Calculations
Calculates maintenance fluid requirements by weight.
- Fractional Excretion of Sodium (FENa)
Determines if renal failure is due to pre-renal, post-renal, or intrinsic renal pathology.
- Maddrey’s Discriminant Function for Alcoholic Hepatitis
Suggests which patients with alcoholic hepatitis may have a poor prognosis and benefit from steroid administration.
- CSF WBC Correction for RBCs
Estimates how to correct lumbar puncture WBC count for traumatic tap (many other formulas exist).
- Sodium Correction for Hyperglycemia
Calculates the actual sodium level in patients with hyperglycemia.
- Creatinine Clearance (Cockcroft-Gault Equation)
Calculates creatinine clearance according to the Cockgroft-Gault equation.
- Framingham Coronary Heart Disease Risk Score
Estimates risk of having coronary heart disease at 10 years.
- Framingham Coronary Heart Disease Risk Score (SI Units)
Estimates risk of having coronary heart disease at 10 years (SI units).
- PSI/PORT Score: Pneumonia Severity Index for Adult CAP
Estimates mortality for patients with pneumonia using demographic, lab, and radiographic data.
- Calcium Correction for Hypoalbuminemia
Calculates a corrected calcium level for patients with hypoalbuminemia.
- BMI and Body Surface Area (BSA)
Calculates BMI and estimates body surface area by height and weight.
- Anion Gap
Calculates the anion gap to check for metabolic acidosis.
- Absolute Reticulocyte Count (Reticulocyte Index)
Calculates absolute reticulocyte count and index to determine if there is an appropriate response to anemia.
- Absolute Neutrophil Count (ANC)
Calculates the absolute neutrophil count, frequently used in neutropenic fever chemotherapy patients.
- A-a O2 Gradient
Calculates the A-a gradient to assess for degree of shunting and V/Q mismatch.