- When applied, the CAM-ICU will provide a qualitative result of “delirium present” or “delirium absent”.
- Patients identified as suffering from delirium will be investigated and managed accordingly.
- The CAM-ICU should continue to be used daily even in patients that are delirious in order to monitor for resolution of the condition.
- The management of delirium is an extensive topic that is beyond the scope of this discussion.
- Screen all ICU patients daily for delirium using a validated clinical tool such as the CAM-ICU.
- The screening is best performed by individuals trained in the proper usage of this method such as ICU nurses.