Urinary Protein Excretion Estimation
Avoid using overnight or first morning void as urine sample.
Please fill out required fields.
- UPEE >3.5 g per day in adults is associated with nephrotic syndrome.
- Decrease in protein excretion to less than 2 g per day, either in response to therapy or spontaneously, is associated with improved long-term prognosis.
- Patients with persistent low-grade proteinuria unrelated to decreased kidney function or a systemic disease typically have no long-term complications, even if untreated.
- Many nephrologists use an antihypertensive drug, such as an angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor, to reduce or eliminate proteinuria.
- Patients with low-grade proteinuria should be evaluated yearly to make sure it is not getting worse and that kidney function is stable.
- Chetana Pendkar, MBBS
- George Neiderman, MD