BODE Index for COPD Survival
Do not use in patients during acute exacerbations of COPD. Do not use to guide therapy. See When to Use for full exclusion criteria.
Please fill out required fields.
- Does not predict clinical response to therapy.
- Does not guide therapy.
- Best used as an adjunct to discussions with patients regarding a realistic and evidence-based picture of their prognosis.
- Patients with a higher BODE Index have a higher risk of death from any cause and from respiratory causes (respiratory failure, pneumonia or pulmonary embolism).
- Patients with a higher BODE Index have a greater number of COPD exacerbations and hospitalizations.
The BODE Index is used to predict mortality and has not been studied to guide management.
- Should not be used to guide treatment.
- Use the BODE Index to help educate patients about their prognosis and to inform discussions regarding goals of care.
- Akhil Khosla, MD
- Robyn Scatena, MD