Screens for necrotizing soft tissue infections.
- All patients with a high clinical suspicion for necrotizing fasciitis should receive immediate surgical consultation for potential operative debridement.
- Consider calculating a LRINEC score to distinguish patients with severe cellulitis/abscess vs necrotizing fasciitis.
- Prompt fluid resuscitation and antibiotic administration are crucial in the treatment of necrotizing fasciitis.
- Consider early surgical consultation in borderline cases.
- A LRINEC score ≥ 6 is a reasonable cut-off to rule in necrotizing fasciitis, but a LRINEC < 6 does not rule out the diagnosis.